|Page (1) of 1 - 01/11/17||email article||print page|
Univision Deportes Ends 2016 with Record-Breaking Ratings(January 11, 2017)
UDN is the Fastest-Growing Sports Network in Primetime, Regardless of Language, and the Only Sports Network to Deliver +33 Percent Year-Over-Year Ratings Growth in 2016
NEW YORK--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Univision Deportes, the multimedia sports division of Univision Communications Inc. (UCI) that also includes UDN (Univision Deportes Network), the No. 1 Spanish-language sports network, delivered record ratings and double-digit growth in key metrics for its sports content across media platforms in 2016. Additionally, UDN, which launched in 2012 and will celebrate its fifth anniversary in 2017, registered year-over-year ratings gains for the fourth consecutive year and was the only sports network to do so, broadcasting some of the most-watched sporting events in the U.S. UDN saw a year-over-year increase of +33 percent making it the fastest-growing of any TV network, regardless of genre or language, in primetime and averaged 124,000 Adults 18-49 in 2016.
?Our teams continued dedication and commitment to deliver the best-in-class sports content that our viewers have come to expect from us led to a tremendous year for Univision Deportes, said Juan Carlos Rodriguez, president of Univision Deportes. ?As we approach the fifth anniversary of UDN, we plan to continue to deliver top-quality content for fanáticos who are at the heart of what we do. Our goal at UD has always been, and continues to be, to become the No. 1 destination for soccer in America.
In 2016, Univision Deportes delivered a record-shattering ratings for Copa América Centenario which positioned UDN as the No. 1 sports network in primetime in June among Adults 18-49, Adults 18-34, Men 18-49 and Men 18-34, besting ESPN, FS1, NBCSN and all competitors, marking the first time a Spanish-language sports network ranked as No. 1. Furthermore, through 28 matches, Copa América Centenario tournament averaged 2.9 million Total Viewers 2+ and 1.6 million Adults 18-49 per match, beating the World Cup by +9,000 among Total Viewers 2+ and +64,000 among Adults 18-49 and making it the most viewed Copa América tournament ever among Total Viewers 2+. The final match between Argentina and Chile averaged 6.8 million Total Viewers 2+ and 3.8 million Adults 18-49, making it the most-viewed Copa América final ever, on any network, regardless of language. The tournament was a success on the social media front as well, reaching the highest video views for Univision during the month of June and resulted in 2.7 million unique visitors to the website the highest for the year.
Univision Deportes success in 2016 went well beyond Copa América. Liga MX had a phenomenal year, as the Mexican fútbol league showed that it was the most popular soccer in the U.S. with strong performances during its most-watched year on UCI including Univision Network, UniMás and UDN.
- Liga MX averaged 209,000 Adults 18-49 on UDN in 2016, +22 percent better than the NBA on NBA TV and +15 percent better than NHL on NBCSN among Adults 18-49.
- The most-watched Liga MX finals ever, with the first leg match between Tigres and América the most-viewed in Univisions history outperforming the 2014 Liga MX Apertura final between the same two teams.
- The highest-rated regular season club soccer match of the year was Chivas versus América on Univision, averaging more than 3 million Total Viewers 2+, which was +165 percent higher than the most-viewed English Premier League match of the year on NBC Networks.
During a year that saw most networks decline in ratings, UDN was one of only five sports networks (of 15 total) to grow as it continued to beat MLB Network, NBA TV, Golf Channel, FS2, ESPNU, beIN SPORTS, among others.
ADDITIONAL TV HIGHLIGHTS
- Mexican National Team The 2016 World Cup qualifying match between the USA and Mexico mens teams simulcast on Univision Network and UDN reached 7.7 million Total Viewers 2+, and averaged 4.6 million Total Viewers 2+ and 2.5 million Adults 18-49. This marked the best-rated World Cup qualifier match on any network since the USA versus Mexico match in March 2013.
- MLS The Toronto versus Seattle faceoff delivered 601,000 Total Viewers 2+ on Saturday, December 10, on UniMás: the second largest audience of all time for an MLS final on Univision Deportes. This included an increase of +19 percent year-over-year among Total Viewers 2+ and +24 percent with Adults 18-49 (to 328,000). For the season, MLS on Univision and UniMás averaged 262,000 Total Viewers 2+ and 143,000 Adults 18-49, up +7 percent and +3 percent from the prior season, respectively and showing stronger growth than MLS on any other TV network, regardless of language.
- CONCACAF The first leg of the CONCACAF Champions League (CCL) final between Tigres and América on UniMás was the most-viewed CCL Champions League match ever on any network, regardless of language, with 804,000 Adults 18-49 and 1.23 million Total Viewers 2+.
- COPA MX Univision Deportes broadcast of the Copa MX final on November 2, 2016, between Queretaro and Guadalajara averaged 603,000 Adults 18-49 and 958,000 Total Viewers 2+, the most-viewed Copa MX final ever.
- Expediente Expediente Univision Deportes (?The Univision Sports Files) had its best year ever on UDN, averaging 158,000 Total Viewers 2+ and 95,000 Adults 18-49, improving +34 percent and +41 percent, respectively, over 2015.
- ?Premios Univision Deportes (Univision Sports Awards) In its third year, the December 18, 2016, telecast of the sports awards show on Univision Network and UDN reached 4.7 million Total Viewers 2+ who tuned in to all or part of the broadcast, and grew its audience by +14 percent among Adults 18-49 year-over-year. It averaged 1.5 million Total Viewers 2+ and 652,000 Adults 18-49, outperforming 2016s ESPYs among Hispanics by +109 percent.
- Sábado Futbolero Univision Deportes transformed Saturday nights for fútbol in 2016 with the launch of ?Sábado Futbolero, which saw increased time period ratings on Univision by +25 percent among Adults 18-49.
Source: Nielsen, NPM, L+SD data.
About Univision Deportes
Univision Deportes is the multimedia sports division of Univision Communications Inc. (UCI) and includes UDN, the No. 1 Spanish-language sports network in the U.S. Univision Deportes portfolio of rights includes 11 of the 18 teams in Liga MX, the Mexican National Team, the U.S. Mens & Womens National Teams, Major League Soccer, Copa MX, Copa Centroamericana, Copa América, CONCACAF Gold Cup, CONCACAF Champions League, international friendlies, select matches from Liga de Ascenso in Mexico, Portuguese First Division, Dutch First Division, FC Barcelona TV and Bayern Munich TV, Mexicos Campeón de Campeones and SúperCopa, and Formula 1. Univision Deportes is also the exclusive home to shows such as Premios Univision Deportes, Solo Boxeo, Zona NBA, Republica Deportiva and Contacto Deportivo, the highest-rated Spanish-language sports studio show in the U.S., and delivers comprehensive coverage across platforms on all the latest from the NBA, NFL, MLB, and world of boxing.
About Univision Communications Inc.
Univision Communications Inc. (UCI) is the leading media company serving Hispanic America. The Company, a leading content creator in the U.S., includes Univision Network, one of the leading networks in the U.S. regardless of language and the most-watched Spanish-language broadcast television network in the country available in approximately 93% of U.S. Hispanic television households; UniMás, a leading Spanish-language broadcast television network available in approximately 87% of U.S. Hispanic television households; Univision Cable Networks, including Galavisión, the most-watched U.S. Spanish-language entertainment cable network, as well as UDN (Univision Deportes Network), the most-watched U.S. Spanish-language sports cable network, Univision tlnovelas, a 24-hour Spanish-language cable network dedicated to telenovelas, Fusion, a 24-hour English-language news and lifestyle TV and digital network, ForoTV, a 24-hour Spanish-language cable network dedicated to international news, and an additional suite of cable offerings - De Película, De Película Clásico, Bandamax, Ritmoson and Telehit; Univision Television Group, which owns 59 television stations in major U.S. Hispanic markets and Puerto Rico; digital properties consisting of online and mobile websites and apps, including Univision.com, the most visited Spanish-language website among U.S. Hispanics, Univision Now, a direct to consumer video service, Uforia, a music application featuring multimedia music content, The Root, the leading online news, opinion, and culture destination for African-Americans and a stake in The Onion, the nations leading comedy and news satire brand; and Univision Radio, the leading Spanish-language radio group in the U.S. which owns and operates 67 radio stations including stations in 16 of the top 25 U.S. Hispanic markets and Puerto Rico. UCIs assets also include a minority stake in El Rey Network, a 24-hour English-language general entertainment cable network. Headquartered in New York City, UCI has television network operations in Miami and television and radio stations and sales offices in major cities throughout the United States. For more information, please visit Corporate.Univision.com.